Friday, December 26, 2008

Why Crazy People STILL Have VCR's

My 13 year-old nephew called me just before 1 AM to tell me that my sister has gone completely crazy again. She found a box of old VHS tapes that belonged to my mom and was watching them. Lynne thought that the tapes were suspicious and was carefully watching because she was convinced that they had information about people breaking into her house. The delusion of intruders is common for her when she is in a psychotic episode.

Joel said that he saw his mom rewinding the tape and watching certain parts more that once thinking that it would solve the mystery. When he questioned her about what she was doing, she became angry and told him that it was her house and she had every right to watch.

According to Joel, she hasn’t been sleeping or eating with any regularity. She has been suspicious and paranoid. She has nstructed Joel to not talk to any of us. The most disturbing thing is that Joel saw Lynne painting a few days ago and was surprised to see that the subject was a woman crying tears of blood. He asked her who it was and she said, “Me.”

I feel sick to my stomach and this time it's not the flu.

7 comments:

Lesley said...

I"m so sorry...is she on medication???...that must be so hard...especially this time of year....

Krissi said...

Oh my goodness, that is awful. Your poor nephew, what a way to spend Christmas and your sister bless her heart, I cannot imagine living a life that plays out day after day like that. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Jack said...

Lisa,

My Lord. When it rains, it pours. I pray that things calm down for you . . . and quickly.

J. said...

Poor Joel. My mom was kind of whack when I was growing up, but not in that schizophrenic way. Is there any help available for Lynne? Involuntary commitment isn't a pretty thing, but sometimes it's really the only solution. My heart goes out to all of you.

Mia said...

Aw, the poor kid. Makes me feel a little sick too. Mental illness is hard enough on grownups who can "sort of" understand.

::hug:: for both of you.

Julia said...

At least he can call you for help. Just imagine if he had no one to call at 1 am. We have mental illness on my side of the family and I am holding my breath that I don't hear anything new. Good luck.

Sass said...

This is one of the toughest situations. It's an illness, but because people often feel so ashamed of themselves or their loved ones, it so often goes untreated.

She's so fortunate to have family like you.

I'm sending you the biggest hug possible. You're all in my thoughts.