Monday, December 22, 2008

I'm Back

I had the knee surgery on Wednesday. In order to prepare, I spent a lot of time cleaning the house. I knew that I wouldn’t be able to do much for a while. I’m convinced that cleaning the house prior to surgery is one of those things that women do but most men would never think of.

I remember being wheeled into the OR following a dose of IV antibiotics and some “happy” drugs. I moved to the OR table from the gurney and someone put a mask over my face, telling me it was just oxygen and to take some deep breaths. Someone else was cleaning the knee labeled ‘yes’ with Betadine as I complied with the deep breaths. Then I was out. I was in surgery for about an hour and woke up shortly after in recovery. My leg hurt like hell and my throat was sore. I was given shots of morphine and Toradol by the recovery room nurse.

The surgeon came in to talk to me and told me that the meniscus was not torn. He said that there was a bunch of junk under the patella that had needed to be removed. He said on a scale of 1 to 10, it was about a 7. I can’t remember exactly the term he used for ‘junk’, due to my drug-induced haze.

Soon I was moved to the next recovery area where they give you food and make you walk. I had some pudding, toast and hot tea and learned how to walk on crutches. A little while later I got the green light to go home. I coordinated with my ride, DH, which does not stand for darling husband by the way.

One of the nurses helped me out to the car and we were on our way. I was feeling fine until we stopped at a gas station for a drink. The anti-nausea medication had worn off and I was suddenly ill. I broke out into a sweat and fought the urge to throw up. I had my window down and I was taking snow from the car to put on my face. I then called the surgeon’s office and requested medicine for the nausea.

Getting into the house was a bit tricky, due to the snow and ice. One of the crutches slipped on the stairs and I almost fell. I learned that it requires more care to walk on crutches and paying attention is imperative. The baby thinks the crutches are fascinating and whenever I sit down, she steals them. If I’m walking, she ‘helps’.

I’m still on crutches and it has been six days now. I am close to giving them up since I can tolerate some weight on my leg now.

It has been difficult for me to rest as much as I am supposed to. There are things that are impossible for me to do now, which is frustrating. Yesterday I needed a box from the basement and I couldn’t get down the narrow stairs. I tried to get Claire to do it but she was afraid to go alone. So, Claire asked Katie to go with her but she was afraid to do it.

Claire- “Come on, Katie!”
Katie- “But we’re wearing dresses and spiders could go up our legs!”

So far, the best part about knee surgery is the fact that I cannot take care of kids with the stomach flu. All three little girls have it and they have thrown up a lot.


J. said...

Wow, I hope you have someone to help out besides DH, it sounds like you have a lot to deal with. Try to take care of yourself.

Krissi said...

I am happy to hear that all went well. Hope your recovery is as speedy and pain free as possible. Have a very Merry Christmas

Noah's Mommy said...

I am so glad you are starting to feel better, and that all went well with the surgery...but I'm sorry the kiddos are sick...I'm sure it makes it hard....

Mia said...

so funny - the DH comment :) and yes, there are some perks to having surgery if it means you dont' have to clean throw up Hope you Feel better :)

Skye said...

Hang in there!