Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Babies

Finding yourself pregnant after a certain age (40) can be a little disconcerting. After all, it is one thing if you have been going through fertility treatments and have had a public struggle to conceive. It is quite another if you just turn up pregnant.
The first response to my news from a good friend was, “I just read a story on the internet the other day about a 67 year old woman who gave birth to twins.” Am I now bordering on becoming a medical curiosity?

For some reason, the announcement of pregnancy in someone my age is downright shocking and begging for commentary. It would seem that I am now automatically placed in the position of justifying how this happened, exactly. A few years ago, one of my single friends became pregnant. She ran into an obnoxious (and drunk) acquaintance a few months after the baby was born. He said,” I heard you went and had a baby. How in the hell did that happen?” To which she responded, ”Well, Mike, I believe we were doing it doggy style that night.”

The moral to that story is to be careful asking for too many details. After all, you just might get them.

No comments: